Hurricane Florence has caused widespread devastation across eastern North Carolina. If you’re looking for help or want to know how you can help others, here is a list of resources I have gathered. Please share any additional resources you may be aware of and I will add them to this list.
WHERE TO GET HELP IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA:
- The Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center is partnering with the Carteret County Public Schools Foundation as well as the County, local churches, fire departments, and volunteer organizations to coordinate the volunteer efforts for Down East. Check the Down East Fire Departments for more details.
- Meals are scheduled to be provided to those impacted by Hurricane Florence from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. for lunch and 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. for dinner at the following locations:
- White Oak Church of God – 5054 Hwy 24, Newport, NC (Town of Bogue on Hwy 24)
- First United Methodist Church – 900 Arendell St., Morehead City, NC
- Smyrna Pentecostal Holiness Church – 85 Hwy 70, Smyrna, NC
- Meals are scheduled to be provided by the North Carolina Baptist Men to those impacted by Hurricane Florence:
- 2nd Baptist Church – 2516 W 5th St, Washington, NC
- Temple Baptist Church – 1500 Kingdom Way, New Bern, NC
- Additional feeding sites are planned in Wilmington, Kinston, Jacksonville, Lumberton, and Hope Mills (Fayetteville). Click here for the latest updates.
- Grifton Mission Ministries is offering food and supplies to anyone who needs them. The center is located at 6499 N. Highland Blvd., Grifton, NC. Call 252-531-1931 for hours and more details.
- Uber will provide free rides up to $25 to and from hurricane evacuation shelters in the Carolinas. To access this service, download the Uber app, select “payment” in the menu, tap “add promo code” and enter code SCSHELTER for South Carolina or NCSHELTER for North Carolina. The offer is valid for up to 5 trips per rider on UberX or UberXL until Oct. 7.
HOW YOU CAN HELP EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA:
- The Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center is partnering with the Carteret County Public Schools Foundation to collect hurricane relief items for school children and families in Carteret County, with a focus on families in need throughout the Down East communities. The museum will be working with the County, local churches, fire departments, and volunteer organizations to coordinate the volunteer efforts for Down East.
- Donate Online: https://secure.squarespace.com/checkout/donate?donatePageId=5b9c3f1589858357406e7dfd
- Donate By Mail: Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center, PO Box 556, Harkers Island, NC 28531. Memo: Community & Family Hurricane Relief
- Donate Supplies: You may also send some of the most needed recovery supplies via Amazon Wish List to the museum and the museum will distribute to the fire departments.
- Volunteer: Skilled volunteers are needed to help clean up, repair roofs and restore damaged docks. If you or a group are interested in volunteering, please contact Karen Amspacher at the Core Sound Museum, 252-723-0982, email@example.com. The museum will be working with the County, local churches, fire departments, and volunteer organizations to coordinate the volunteer efforts for Down East and will work to place skills with community needs. Please be aware that telephone service and connectivity is currently limited Down East, so a response may be delayed.
- Grifton Mission Ministries is in desperate need of canned food, paper goods, and cleaning supplies as people from around eastern North Carolina continue to visit the center looking for help. You can drop off supplies at 6499 N. Highland Blvd., Grifton, NC or call 252-531-1931 for more information.
- Samaritan’s Purse is looking for volunteers to help homeowners affected by Hurricane Florence with on-going recovery. Click the links below for more details:
- The North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund is currently accepting contributions for Hurricane Florence damage. Contributions will help with immediate unmet needs of Hurricane Florence victims.
- Donate Online: https://governor.nc.gov/donate-florence-recovery
- Donate By Text: Text “Florence” to 20222
- Donate By Mail:
- North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund
20312 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699
- North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund
- American Red Cross
- Donate Online: http://redcross.org
- Donate By Phone: 1-800-RED-CROSS
- Donate By Text: Text “Florence” to 90999 to make a $10 donation
- Salvation Army
- Donate Online: https://give.salvationarmycarolinas.org/campaign/hurricane-florence/c202546
- Donate By Phone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY
- Donate By Text: Text “Storm” to 51555
- Donate By Mail: Please designate 2018 Hurricane Season – Florence on all checks.
- The Salvation Army, PO BOX 1959, Atlanta, GA 30301